Friday, February 26, 2016

Lion Rock Together!

We had a day free to go exploring.
We chose to go hike the Lion Rock Trail.  This time it was Elder Bodily leading the way because it was his second time on this trail and my first.
Once we got off the train and walked what seemed like a mile up a steep road to get to the trail head,
we started seeing monkeys and this one was hanging around.
Mama and her baby not too far away.
Mama must still be nursing her young one.
One minute these two were tenderly embraced.
The next minute they were fighting like siblings sometimes do.
Its kind of fun to watch them.  
A man offered his walking stick before we reached the trailhead.  At first I thought how considerate of him, but not necessary.  I ate my words later on.  It was very helpful in maneuvering around rocks and up and down the steep steps along the way.  
I would sure like to thank him again.
In my opinion, this trail was the most strenuous we have taken.
Elder Bodily will say we haven't taken any strenuous trails yet.
After an uphill climb almost the entire way, we made it to the summit; all 495meters.
Elder Bodily knew of a short cut for getting back down.  It required carefully climbing over rocks, and I paid for that short cut the next day with sore muscles.
As we made our descent, we saw this broom just hanging from a tree.  Seemed kind of odd.
The city behind us can hardly be seen.
We had hoped for a clearer day, but the temperature was ideal for the occasion.
One of the last things we saw before we headed back to the MTR,
was this community garden in Lion Rock Park.
It looks like it is well maintained, and such a great idea.

It took us 3 hours and 9 minutes to go 2.69 miles to the end of the trail.
Only 1 hour longer than it took Elder Bodily on his first hike.  
I know I slow him down, but that is only because he has longer legs than I, and more stamina.
He doesn't complain though and asks me to keep coming along.

My least favorite part was the steep paved road we walked to get to the trailhead.
Elder Bodily's least favorite was the crowded train ride to get to the paved road.
I think we should just take a taxi next time to get to that trailhead!

2 comments:

Paige said...

I love the photo of the monkeys hugging!! And I love the photo of you two at the summit! You both are glowing! (not in a sweaty way). I can't wait for us to be able to go on some hikes this summer.

Jon, Kristin, and the kiddos said...

It's still strange imagining monkeys like that being around and so close as you go out and about. But very cool too.