Monday, August 29, 2016

The Timing of Sister Chung & Sister James!

I have been searching for white fabric, in hopes of having a temple dress custom made before we leave Hong Kong.  It seems to be well known that Shenzhen is the best source for fabric and tailors, but since we aren't allowed in mainland, thats not an option.  So, I checked out a shop in Tsim Sha Tsui with beautiful silks, but too high of prices.  Then I tried a couple of tailors and found some pretty silk brocades, but nothing in pure white.  So, after my shift at the temple, I boarded the train for Sham Shui Po to check out the fabric markets.  I wasn't sure which street to even begin, but I headed to Nam Cheong Street, and low and behold, I met up with Christina Chung.  I had just seen her earlier at the temple, as she is the shift coordinator on Saturdays.  Christina was with Sister Tsung's daughter, and was also looking for fabric in hopes of sewing her a dress before she leaves on her mission to Minnesota.  I thought, what are the odds that we would be walking the same street in all Sham Shui Po at the same time.  Some say its coincidence, but I think not!  
When I told Christina what I was looking for, she knew which shop would be the most likely to have what I was looking for, and insisted on walking me there.  And of course, she could communicate with the shop owner much better than I in explaining what I needed.  Unfortunately, it seems polyester silk isn't available in pure white, at least not in Hong Kong.  It was beginning to look as if I would be going home without a new temple dress.  So,  I headed back to catch the shuttle at the Peninsula.  Coincidentally, Sister James also caught the shuttle, and when I explained the difficulty I was having in finding white fabric for a temple dress, she suggested I try Western Market on Des Voeux Rd.  I hadn't heard of this place, but it was my last hope and worth a try.
The following Monday, Elder Bodily and I went to Sheung Wan and found this red brick building.
The entire 2nd floor is divided into individual shops each stocked with yards of fabrics.  At the first shop we stepped into, we were greeted by Simon Lau, and when I told him what I was looking for, he quickly found a roll of Italian cotton blend in the purest of white with a pretty design.   However,  I couldn't bring myself to buy the first thing I saw.  So, I checked every other shop for something that might be even better.  Mr. Lau even helped me look. But, there wasn't any other roll of pure white on the entire 2nd floor.  Mr. Lau also agreed to sell it at a reduced price.   Now, I'm anxious to get it over to Avon so she can get started on it.  It would be nice to wear it once before we leave next month.

Something to think about:
If I hadn't met up with Sister Chung, the timing of me getting on the shuttle would have been different, and I would not have seen Sister James that evening. Therefore, I most likely would not have learned about Western Market, and thereby, found something suitable for a temple dress.
I know the Lord knew this was something important to me, and worthy of His help, so he timed things to help me accomplish my desire.
I consider this a tender mercy from Him, and I'm thankful for it.

1 comment:

Jon, Kristin, and the kiddos said...

The Lord gives and helps us so much. How neat to run into two sisters as you did and be led to what you were looking for. I look forward to seeing your dress when it is completed!