Thursday, August 18, 2016

Baptisms In Mandarin!

The Baptistry was as busy as we've seen it today.  The room was filled beyond seating capacity with young and old, and it was great.  Seeing Elder Bodily standing in the font and performing the baptisms in Mandarin was something unexpected, and extra special to witness.
Unexpected, because I didn't know he had begun learning this ordinance in Mandarin.
In fact, President Hui warned the patrons that Elder Bodily might sound a bit hard to understand, but the Lord will hear him clearly, and the work will still count.

One young woman stood out because of her hesitance to walk down into the font.
Sister Hui took me aside and quietly explained her situation.
Sister Liu had been too scared to do the baptisms the previous two days,
even with President Hui there to help her.
Today she worked up enough courage to try again, this time with Elder Bodily reassuring her in a language she doesn't understand, that he would help her.
It touched us both to the point of tears, to see her successfully go down into the water and perform baptisms for four women who needed her to be brave.

The Sprit is always present in the temple, but sometimes it is felt especially strong,
and today was one of those times.
It made me grateful for Sister Law's assignment to help in the Baptistry at this time.
Sister Hui admonished me to remember this day.
After what was witnessed in that room, I expect I'm not the only one who will.

3 comments:

jeff and alli said...

What a lovely experience to share. Thanks Mom.

Joyce said...

I have tears in my eyes as I read this post. I can just hear elder Bodily talking to the girl and then seeing her get in the water. We are so blessed to be members of the church.

Jon, Kristin, and the kiddos said...

Yes, a very lovely experience for sure!:)