Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Our Cousin Served In Hong Kong!

After spending the night in Burley, we got up early to pay my cousin, Marilyn Miller a visit before going the rest of the way to SLC.  When we received our mission call, she was one of the first to call and tell us how excited she was for us.
  That is partly because 50 years ago, she also served a mission in Hong Kong.
I have some memory of her returning from her mission.  I was only 8 years old at the time, but I remember her giving me Chinese coins that she had brought back from Asia.
I was tickled that she thought of me.  She made me feel special that day.
Now I am 58 years old and in all these years I have never dreamt I would also go to Hong Kong someday as a missionary.
We wanted to have a chance to talk with Marilyn and hear of her experiences as a young missionary in the same place that we are soon to be.
We visited in her art studio that is located behind her home.
She taught us a little history of China, and spoke of the food and culture in Hong Kong,
and shared her photo album with us.  
Marilyn showed us how to write a few Chinese characters.
There are thousands of characters.
Sister Miller
A street in Hong Kong 50 years ago.
Before tall skyscrapers began to appear.
Sister Miller with church members on Hong Kong Island

Our visit with her sure went quickly, but
we'll stop back by in another 18 months.

No comments: