Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Wishes Were Granted!

A conference for the Asia Area Mission Presidents was held this week in Hong Kong.
 We were informed they would be coming to the temple today to attend a special endowment session with their wives.  It is always a treat to have these faithful men and women at the temple and to see and feel of their countenances.
When I learned that Elder Brent H. Nielson would be among those attending, 
I was even more anxious.
Partly because he is from our great state of Idaho and there is a connection there.  But, mostly because my dad has always spoke highly of him as he was my parent's stake president at one time.  It was Elder Nielson who set my father apart as a full-time missionary when he and Joyce were called to serve in the Orlando Florida Mission.  Dad was so impressed with him that he even went as far as to say he expected Brother Nielson would be called as a General Authority someday.
  I guess he knew what he was talking about.

My wish today was that I would at least get to shake hands with Elder Nielson.
Elder and Sister Nielson 

Our day was even better than expected.  
I was assigned to be in the session with the mission presidents. 
After the session, low and behold, Elder Nielson came from the Celestial Room just as I was in the hall.  I was able to shake his hand, and
I told him my father would be tickled to know that I met him today because he holds him in such high regard.  He asked who my father was, and when I told him, Melvin Stanger, he said, "yes, I know Mel.  Tell him I said hello".
Just when I thought my happy moment was complete, 
Elder Nielson approached me again, this time near the office, and again shook my hand as he was preparing to leave.
Since we were leaving too, 
I got brave and asked if I could quickly get a photo with him before he left.  
He said sure.
This will really surprise my dad.
Elder Bodily had hoped to attend the special session as well, but was assigned to assist the Peddinti and Dumpala families as proxies for almost 100 baptisms.  Since he is unable to speak Telugu, he spoke the ordinance in Cantonese. 
 After 100 names, he got the practice he needed to speak that ordinance perfectly.
He truly enjoys working in the Baptistry.
So, his morning was extra special as well.
A bonus!
 Elder Bodily with Elder Chi Hong (Sam) Wong
 Member of the First Quorum of the Seventy and Counselor in the Aisa Area Mission Presidency

We admire these good people who have consecrated their lives to serving the Lord and are helping to build His Kingdom.  It is a blessing to have served them today in the Hong Kong Temple.

No comments: