Sunday, June 28, 2015

Our First Speaking Assignment and Meeting Izabela!

About three weeks ago, Sister Wilma Galcon asked us to speak in today's Sacrament Meeting.  I sure appreciated her asking well in advanced.  Speaking is not a traumatic thing for Elder Bodily, but it can be for me, and the more time I have to prepare, the less stressful it is.
In preparing for my talk, I felt impressed to speak about enduring the trials in our life with faith.  The majority of the members of this branch are domestic workers trying to support their families who still live in the Philippines.  Many face great hardships.  I had hoped I might share something that could be uplifting and remind them they are loved by the Lord, and that with faith, He will help them endure.
 Elder Bodily spoke about the power of the priesthood and the blessings he has received in his life because of that priesthood power.  He talked about a baby boy who was born with birth defects, but because of the priesthood blessings this baby was given, he was eventually healed.  We aren't sure the Filipino sisters understood that Elder Bodily was speaking of himself, but hopefully, they understood the message he intended.

As I was getting ready to leave the chapel, a beautiful young girl came up to me to compliment me on my talk and to say how much she was impressed with what I said.  I thanked her and asked where she was from.  With her blue eyes and long blonde hair, dressed in a midriff top and very short shorts, she stuck out like a sore thumb.  I learned her name is Izabela, she is a model, and she has just moved to Hong Kong from Poland, but will only be here for a few months while she does a modeling job.  She is not a member, but as she was walking nearby this morning, she noticed the church and felt like it was a place she wanted to enter.
She agreed to stay for Sunday School and Relief Society.  She made a comment about there being so many women and not many men attending.  I explained to her this branch is mostly domestic workers, but there is also an international ward available to attend that she might prefer. Afterwards, I introduced her to Sister Inouye, and we both expressed our happiness that she was there, and asked if she would like to know more about our church.  She said she believes in Christ, and felt today like she was in a familiar place. She was willing to give us her e-mail address, and we invited her to come again next Sunday.  Oh, how I hope she does.

No comments: